Pit Bull terriers (also known as Pit Bulls) are American Staffordshire terriers. They are usually black in color, have a shiny, thick, short ( stubby ) and very well proportioned. They are usually very strong and muscular looking. Their head is usually very large with a rounded skulls and they look like bulldogs.
hairstyles are common for them, with their wavy or curly hair, they are low-set, but they can get length in their hair. Their hair color is gray with brindle-colored patches. Some people may say that they are potato shaped, but hair and eye colors differ.
They are usually very easy to train, but they can be stubborn sometimes. It helps to have an "alpha dog" to lead them. These dogs are intelligent and energetic, but they need to go the extra mile. They like to play for attention and because they love to please, they are very gentle and sweet.
They are prone to problems with ramps, can get clipped in one place and then broken in a second or three. That is why it is so important to have the training handled by an experienced person. They can have life spans of up to 12 years.
The family life is short, but it is full of love and devotion. They should not be over protected, but need rules to help keep them safe as a household pet. Things to watch for are lack of exercise, being constantly chained, and not being adequately vaccinated.
– The American Pit Bull Terrier has a life expectancy of about 12 years.- These dogs have a high intelligence and love to please their owners. They are great base mates for children.- They can be very stubborn and sometimes are not easy to housebreak.
Ask a licensed breeder about the breeding lines. Generally they will have a lot of family history. This will help you in selecting a pet.
Consider this review of the physiology/behaviour of the American Pit Bull Terrier to help you decide if this animal would suit your needs.
1. The American Pit Bull Terrier has a brachycephalic skull which is Combination of flat skull, box skull, and then extra broad head. This shape is very common in dogs. The skull is only rounded on the top for the head of the American Pit Bull Terrier.
The brain in the American Pit Bull Terrier is specialized for hearing, location of scent, and sacrifices protection for the brain.
2. They have a sensitivity of smell, which is very keen.
3. They also have strong jaws full of very sharp teeth, which is also very unique among canines.
4. They are very brave, but because of their powerful nature they have to be watchful of the dangerous situations that might be about to happen. They are willing to die if necessary, for example, to save a human life.
5. They are very loving, playful, extremely enthusiastic, eager to please, and devoted.
6. The American Pit Bull Terrier has a calm but strong will, which is very uncommon in this type of breed.
7. It has a very limited number of calories; this is very important to watch out for, as they tend to over eat.
8. The American Pit Bull Terrier has no problem in competing in obedience or agility contests, or in making a good watch dog. It is even qualified as a therapy dog.
This animal has a very rewarding personality, and fits in harmoniously with children, adults, and also with other animals. It is a very good friend and very reliable with children, and also with other canines.